Noordoostpolder Wind Farm…
- …was a pioneer in the area of collaboration between various levels of government (national, provincial, municipal) and the founders;
- …has shown the way in the development of new wind farms (state coordination scheme, environmental impact assessment);
- …partly as a result of this took almost 20 years to develop; the construction took less than 5 years;
- …was largely realised by local farmers;
- …consists of a combination of wind turbines on shore and near shore;
- …has the largest wind turbines on shore; the idea behind this is to generate renewable energy with fewer but larger turbines;
- …in relation to its capacity generates more electricity than at locations located further inland; this is due to the wind conditions along the dikes of the Noordoostpolder that are comparable to those of the North Sea coast.